Monday, June 28, 2010

Taipei!!!!!!!


My last trip in Asia was a ten day adventure in and around Taipei late December 2009. My agenda for the excursion was mostly for visiting family and friends, and also to pig out one last time before heading back to the states. I’ve visited numerous times before when I was younger, but always with family and I never really got to explore much on my own. However, I flew in solo this time and had a much more relaxed and flexible schedule for the days I stayed.

Taiwan is known for its street food and night markets. My uncle whisked me from the airport straight to XiMenDing, a popular hangout for hipsters and yuppies. I indulged in what I recall being a flat mozzarella cheese bing drizzled in a tart mayonnaise sauce.



Also fell in love with the newest baddest drink: bitter melon juice with honey. Its supposed to be loaded with antioxidants (as are all bitter fruits nowadays) and good for the skin.


And tried some more tropical fruits I had never seen in my life.

I checked out the Taipei101 and its mall, the tallest occupied building in the world (dubai’s tower post-crisis is empty for time being) The observatory had a splendid view of the city and the surrounding mountains and clouds.

During the mornings and afternoons I wandered from street to street, temple to temple enjoying the rare moments of sun.


I took the super clean subway out to Danshui, the boardwalk/ arcade/ game/ food paradise on the northern tip of Taipei. They included fishing for live goldfish, clawing at stuffed bears, devouring pork ribs and sour plum juice, and throwing darts onto balloons (which garnered me a watermelon-styled ball, which I later lost during my nap on the bench overlooking the sea, though I suspect a child couldn’t resist gleefully running off with a prize he/she didn’t win).







I went hiking on the mountains walking distance from the city center of Taipei, and was rewarded with splendid views of the city and sole skyscraper.




I took a trip to MaGao Shen Mu Park, or celestial forest park with gigantic trees several centuries old high in the mountain.

Also took a bike tour of the city out to Ba Li, another harbor north of Taipei. We stopped in some temples along the way before taking a lunch break in a traditional tea house.




Last tour: Jiu Fen, an old miner’s town now converted into the Santorini of Taiwan. The town zigzagged across a hillside, and cafes, pashmina shops, tea houses, and restaurants lined the streets overlooking the sea. Surely a splendid view, if the sky were clear.






Last shots on my Nikon s560 from 2009:
Japanese bone broth noodle

Delicious iced treat by XiMenDing

No comments:

Post a Comment